The airport opened May 1, 1928 as Coatesville Airport and was owned and operated by the City of Coatesville. In 1959 Chester County purchased the airport and took over operations. At this time, the Chester County Area Airport Authority was formed and the airport was renamed to Chester County Airport. In 1962 the airport was renamed in honor of the first Authority chairman, G. O. Carlson.